Friday, August 29, 2014

Keeping the Main Thing...Main

It had been a good day, and a productive one. Having accomplished much, including feeding the kids well, unloading and unpacking from our beach week, completing all of my morning chores, teaching math to my three school-aged children and more, I was feeling nothing short of exhausted.

As I stood at the sink haggardly washing dishes and pondering dinner, I realized that I  might have done too much.

My husband was due home any moment, and rather than anticipating welcoming him with open arms, I was feeling more like falling into his, completely exhausted.

I sat down at the computer and logged into Facebook. (No one is ever too tired for that, right?) Just as I began to respond to a message, in he walked, carrying about ten grocery bags.

Though I might have felt like sitting there, I jumped up instead and started unpacking the groceries and putting everything away. That of course led to starting dinner, tidying up the house, putting away the laundry, and so on.

The surprising thing is that I didn't feel tired anymore.

Though I'm thankful for that, I realized that I can't expect such an energy surplus every day.

I was reminded of the fact that I might need to scale back my daily expectations, that I might need to DO a little less, so I can BE a little more for him in the evenings.

I really like feeling accomplished. I make "to do" lists, and the more items I check off, the more productive I feel.

Yet I am continually reminded that there is one person worthy of my best efforts whose name is usually not written on that paper.


There was a day, one that sometimes seems so long ago and far away, a day in which I promised to love and honor him above everyone else.

There were no stipulations involving kids, a messy house, school work, hobbies, or any type of leisure.

No guarantees were made that it would always feel good, or that he would return the favor either. Yet, I promised to do my part.

It has been deeply affirming to find that the more I stretch myself to honor him, the more I find him doing the same for me.

As for that list, maybe I should start writing his name right in the center of it as a visual reminder that if I don't prioritize my relationship with him above the details, then the rest will cease to exist.




No comments:

Post a Comment