Monday, August 25, 2014

Beach Week 2014

It feels SO good to be home, and wonderful to wake up from a great night's sleep!

Last week was our beach week. Every year we load up the van and head out to Emerald Isle for a week with extended family on my husband's side. My kids excitedly dive into a week with their cousins, enjoying the sun and sand, the aquarium, putt-putt, and more.


The ocean is my sanctuary. I love the salt, sand, water, and sunshine. I savor the sound of the waves lapping upon the shore and the songs of the seagulls and sandpipers.


We recently read a poem about the sandpiper and found pictures of it on the internet. It was sweet to hear even my 3 year old call it out by name this week when we saw it skittering along the shoreline and pecking at the ground.


The conditions at the beach were perfect this week. Due to sandbars inhibiting the formation of colossal waves, our kids were able to venture out further than they ever have.


Think not for a second that I was complacent. It took me until the end of the week to really settle in and savor the experience, but that's okay. It's just part of being a parent.

Saturday was my favorite day. I tried riding the skim board that we had gotten for Brayden and that was an adventure in itself. It was not an easy ride by any means and a wonderful reminder to me of what it is like to learn new things.


When Annacie skeptically asked me if I had fun doing that, I had to laugh.

Her difficulty grasping that I would do something JUST for the fun of it, and not for somebody else or for any anticipated end result aside from enjoying the moment...well it was enlightening.

 I improved...and let's just say that I'll try again next year.

Shawn was far more graceful in his efforts.




I enjoyed just sitting in the mud next to the water, feeling the tiniest sea creatures crawling underneath my fingers and hands, savoring in some small measure, the depth and majesty of creation.

The smallest things can bring the greatest joy. Or is that just me?

About that time, Shawn came up and set the skim board up behind me and took this picture.


Cassidy spent a lot of time drawing in the sand on Saturday. I love seeing the things my young artist comes up with.
 
Abstract figure/person

Choo Choo!
And now we're home, and ready to dive back into the daily grind.


 
And minus the chores, we wouldn't have it any other way.












No comments:

Post a Comment