Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Making Math Matter

As a mom of four kids, I'm all about streamlining or "killing two birds with one stone" as they say.

I've learned through my studies in school and from my own personal experience that children learn best when the content is applicable to their lives.

Additionally, as a teacher and lover of learning I'm always excited to discover ideas that integrate different disciplines and that can be used with multiple children at once.

I am excited to share my latest discovery of this kind!

I've found a way to integrate creativity, problem solving, computation, money math, a good work ethic, and greater attention to detail all at once. It's a... (drum roll please)

CANDY STORE!

Note that the kids will only be allowed to buy candy after lunch on days that they eat well. This is their normal time for candy. The main difference is that they will now have to earn it.

Sidenote...I would guess that some of you are befuddled by the fact that this proclaimed healthy mama gives her kids candy every day. The truth is that I feel it would be hypocritical not to. I drink iced coffee after lunch every day so when I get mine, they get theirs.

To earn money for candy, my children must exceed my normal chore expectations of them by...

-doing more than the bare minimum when cleaning their bedrooms and their afternoon cleaning assignments. They must complete their jobs excellently!
-vacuuming carpets without being asked.
-cleaning dirty spots on the walls with Magic Erasers.
-wiping off/cleaning the bathroom sink.
-leaving NO unfolded articles of clothing out on their assigned laundry days.
-washing EVERY dish they are capable of washing on their dish washing day.

You see, my children have been doing chores for a long time but it seems they have gotten slack; efficiency is lacking and I'm hoping this will kick it up a notch.

If a child accomplishes one of the tasks above, then he/she earns ten cents. We have cups set out on the kitchen table labeled with their names where they keep the money that they earn.

My kids (especially my 9 year old daughter) set up the candy store, sorting the candy and pricing the items.



What we consider a regular sized piece of candy costs ten cents. Larger candies OR those with artificial colors (which I discourage) cost twenty cents. They may not spend more than twenty cents per visit.



Today is our first day doing this so I can only share the benefits that I've seen so far...

-As I said, my daughter set up the store, honing her organizational skills, sorting and classifying items, and solving problems as she encountered them.
-My three year old helped his brother clean their room this morning and cleaned up the monster truck mess he made in my room.
-My six year old daughter has reviewed coin names and values and efficiently counted out her money to me when she made her purchase.
-My oldest son and my daughters cleaned their bedrooms completely this morning.

Though this has required little effort and input on my part, I am in anticipation of greater efficiency, less mess, and lots of learning.

If this is something that you might consider implementing in your home and you have questions that were not answered here, please ask.

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment