Saturday, February 15, 2014

Mood Swings: Saying No to Hormonal Havoc

It's ironic that I've chosen today to write about mood swings. Yesterday was supposed to be my running day and I wasn't able to go. Today, with the melting snow, slushiness abounds; therefore my prospects for relief are not good at this point. Last night I didn't sleep well, and that along with certain "cyclic" factors have left me feeling somewhat moody and unstable.

I have come to recognize over the years that there are a number of variables that influence a woman's level of emotional stability. Through applying this knowledge on a fairly consistent basis, I have found those things to be of great help in balancing my moods and emotions.

That being said, there will always be certain areas that are out of our control.

Yet getting a handle on the things that we can control can make all the difference.

These things are ordered by degree of importance. For that reason, it might make the most sense to tackle one area at a time, starting with number one and persisting with that until it has become a habit; then proceed from there.

Anyway, for me, it looks like this...

1. I start each day with prayer and Bible study. This helps me to begin my day with the acknowledgment that God is in control, and that His purposes and plans are greater than mine. I pray that He will order my day and help me to prioritize according to His will. That helps to relieve my load tremendously, calms my brain, and enables me to channel my energies more effectively.

2. I eat balanced meals and snacks, which does not require perfection. I don't feel like I've "fallen off the wagon" if I have a dessert, or eat Pringles or fries with a meal.

A focus on deprivation wouldn't cut it for me.

What I have found though is that the more I focus on on healthful eating, the less room there is on my plate and in my belly for sugar laden junk.

Some things I try to include in each meal are as follows...

-protein- meat, beans, nuts, or quinoa
-healthy fats- whole milk, Greek yogurt (with fat in it), cheese, coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
-carbohydrates- whole wheat bread, brown rice, quinoa, corn or wheat tortilla, etc.
-fruit juice with breakfast, veggies with other meals

If I eat a snack, I usually go for trail mix or nuts. Junk food doesn't give me energy; if I eat that stuff because I'm tired, I just end up feeling worse. If I'm going to eat those things, I find that it's better to eat them with or after a balanced meal. Then I'm less likely to overindulge.




3. Exercise brings amazing balance to my system, mentally as well as physically. I don't kill myself with that either, though. It might be the nature of my "job" and the fact that I'm always moving anyway, but I find that a three mile run every third day is enough to bring the balance that I need.


4. Sleep makes a world of difference to my mood. If only there were a magic wand that we could wave to ensure that we get enough every night...

There are some things I have learned that will increase the likelihood of getting a good night's sleep. They are as follows...

-eating balanced meals
-exercising
-early to bed, early to rise
-taking a short nap, no longer than 45 minutes midday
-slowing down when I feel my body is telling me to do so
-not watching TV or reading anything that overstimulates me close to bedtime
-no caffeine after 2PM

None of these things produce perfection. Hormones themselves can interfere with sleep. Yet, as I've applied these principles, my sleep has greatly improved.



5. Our bodies need routine and predictability to establish our natural rhythms for optimal health. For those of you who have kids, you've probably already recognized that they function better in a framework of routines. We are no different. This will look different in every family.


Applying these principles has brought much needed balance for me, mentally as well as physically. Mood swings are more likely to occur only a couple times a month, rather than on an ongoing basis.

This enables me to step back and objectively observe the process, rather than feeling frustrated in the midst of it. I'm able to better recognize my triggers and to discern those times when I'm going to need to exert more effort to tame my tongue, or when I just need to back off and take a little time for myself.

I truly hope that these suggestions will be of help to you. Are there things that you've learned that have enabled you to minimize the effects of hormonal havoc? If so, please comment. Thank you in advance for reading and for sharing. Have a great day.







No comments:

Post a Comment